Texas Air & Space Museum

Aviators of the past remembered,
aviators of the future inspired.

 

              Home ] Up ] Exhibits ] Early Years ] Events ] Wall of Honor ] News ] Reviews ] Visit ] Volunteers ] Membership/Donations ] Contact Us ] About ]

 

The Airports - English Bivens Flying Field 1926-1929

Location: 3 miles north of Amarillo; 1 mile west of Pleasant Valley Elementary School; near River Road; west of Smelter Road; west side of Ross Rogers Golf Course

 

With the demise of the aircraft of the Panhandle Flying Service, in 1923 that service ceased operations, however, Bivens Flying Field at 15th and Crockett remained in use by transit aircraft in need of fuel and service.
 

In 1926, the Bivens Addition of the city was platted and the old Bivens Field had to move. With twelve horses, and heavy beams and rollers, Lloyd Bivens moved the hangar from Bivens Field to a section of Bivens land that was located 3 miles northwest of the city. By 1928, this new landing field was listed on Army maps and had a flying school, all managed by Lt Gray. In June of 1928, Harold English became manager of the field.

English Bivens Flying Field is the true birthplace of aviation in the Texas Panhandle. Because of Amarillo Airport Corporation's excellent service, this airport developed a great reputation with cross country flyers and the US Army. Continental Airlines made its maiden flight through English Bivens Flying Field.

 

The first truly, commercial scheduled flight flight took place in 1928 when Harold English, backed by Paul Braniff of Braniff Airways, began regular round-trip flights to Oklahoma City. It was at this time that a US Army official traveled to Amarillo and recommended to city officials that they designate this airport as the city's Municipal Airport.
English Bivens Flying Field ceased operation in September of 1929 when Harold English and Thornton Oxnard opened the new English Field airport seven miles east of Amarillo. The hangars, that were built at the old Bivens Field, then moved to the English Bivens Flying Field were now torn down and transported to the Bivens Ranch.

 

Additional English Bivens Flying Field  photos and historical records may be seen at the Texas Air & Space Museum.

 

Press the back arrow or [Up] button to return to previous page.